Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Wall hangings

Well I've got the bug. Recently I have been hyperactive with desire to decorate everything around my home. I have to hold myself back as we are living in a rented property and of course I can't just go and paint a huge mural on the outside wall. God knows I'd love to do it. For now I have to satisfy myself with other decorative items and some new products. I've just done this wall hanging for our bedroom. Wall hangings are a big thing in Polish folk culture with many traditional interiors having little blank wallspace left due to all the decorations.



Traditional Polish village home in Zalipie, Poland
image: "Polska Sztuka Ludowa", Aleksander Jackowski



Having recently done some new wrapping paper I loved the design of it so much that I decided to use it to make a wallhanging. I'm reluctant to overuse the same pattern on too mnay things but I couldn't resist this wall hanging. I used 100% raw silk and screenprinted directly onto a large piece. The edges are stitched to give it a neat finish and the bottom is freyed to keep in style with many other traditional wall hangings. A simple stick from my garden through the top and some twine to hang it. I'm pleased with the result and will do some in other colours too. I must say a huge thank you to my friend Lisa from http://www.theredthread.com.au/ and check out her fabulous blog too http://www.theredthreadblog.blogspot.com/ for allowing me to use her home and her sensational camera to photograph this wall hanging recently as well as all my other products. Thank you Lisa!








No comments: